These terraced houses are typical of the workers’ cottages built by the Estate in the early and mid C19th. No. 10 (now part of no. 12) with its archway was a cart-house with access through a hole in the wall to the shared well at no. 8. Over the years many Estate workers lived in these houses: engine driver, engine fitter, butler, wheelwright, tailors and many agricultural labourers. In 1851 a tailor lived at no. 10, which explains why, during renovation of the building in the early 1980s, many buttons were found under the floorboards of the room above the cart-house. The rear gardens of the terrace do not respect the house boundaries, having been set to give each family a reasonable piece of land. Likewise, the Estate changed the internal design of nos. 15 & 16 by extending a bedroom of no. 15 over the downstairs rooms of no. 16. This was probably done to accommodate a larger family in no. 15 and the arrangement exists today as a ‘flying freehold’.