Cricket has been played in Butleigh since July 1865. The first pitch was laid out in the Park by permission of the Squire, Ralph Neville Grenville MP. The pitch was constructed with wooden faggots under the turf to improve drainage. Teams that played here in the 1860’s were Baltonsborough, Castle Cary, Ilchester, Glastonbury and others. After a home game, the teams would proceed to Mr Hoddinott’s barn for food and cider provided by Mr Silcox. In August 1867 Ralph Neville Grenville’s Gentlemen’s eleven beat Butleigh. The local Somerset Gazette reported two days later, that some of the Gentlemen were first class players from all parts of the country. No record of the score is known. The Club disbanded in 1956 but in 1961 it was reformed and moved to its present location in front of the Court. This move was assisted by George Burrough of Higher Rockes Farm, who had in 1936 played a first class match for Somerset at Taunton.