This property was probably built in the early C17th. The house was a shop for many years; in 1861, Joseph Hickman was living here and was a baker and grocer. In 1880, the Co-Operative Society opened here. There was a bakery, a grocery department and a drapery. The bakehouse was behind the shop. The Co-Op offered employment to many local children on leaving school both working in the shop and the bakehouse. Noah Haddock was the first manager appointed in 1880 and he stayed in Butleigh until his retirement in 1925. The Squire was involved in the Co-Op and ensured that the dividend was paid out to the members just before his rents were due, thus ensuring that people had enough money to pay him. In 1967, the Butleigh Co-Op branch closed and for a short period Henry and Betty Davey, who were running the Post Office and General Stores at 17 High Street, took over the premises and ran it until the present shop was built.