It is believed that there was a building used by the Methodists in Chapel Lane, opposite the site of this Wesleyan Chapel, from about 1814 but this was sold in 1818. The Wesleyan Methodists began meeting in Butleigh in 1869 and the Chapel, with seating for 150 people, was built in 1882 – probably with stone left over from the building of Butleigh Hospital. In 1963 there was an application to the Methodist Church by the membership to close the chapel as there had been a general decline in numbers and by this stage there were only seven members. This was followed in 1966 by an application to sell the building. It was purchased by the Forsey family and was in due course converted into a private house. In most of the surrounding villages there were Methodist Wesleyan chapels but during the 1960’s and 1970’s the majority closed and were converted to private houses.