Butleigh is surrounded by apple orchards and cider played a very important part in its life. However, the sale of alcohol in Butleigh was not without its problems. In 1315, ten Butleigh men were accused of ‘selling ale contrary to the assize’ and, in 1734, one man was convicted of running a disorderly house. In 1851 there were two public houses in the village, the Globe Inn (location unknown) and the New Inn, the latter becoming, by 1860, the Rose and Portcullis, the only pub of that name in the country. In 1901 the Rose and Portcullis was leased by The People’s Refreshment-House Association. The association’s aim was to encourage the sale of food and non-intoxicating drinks. To this end, managers were not allowed to make a profit on intoxicating drinks but could on food and non-alcoholic drinks. This gave them an incentive to sell things other than alcohol and they were encouraged to “regard themselves as an agent of temperance and good behaviour”. The pub remained under their management until at least 1939.